Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter in Kandahar

This has been a week of reflection, loss of life - in terms of soldiers and family members, a week of remembrance and celebration in the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ on this Easter Holiday. For me, this week has been one requiring strength. My wife lost her aunt, Helena Morgan this week and the toll was emotionally tough on the family. Her mother, who is not in good health, required medical, emotional and physical assistance that again left my wife alone to manage. These long deployments have a huge affect on not only the soldier, but their families as well.. By the time I arrive back home, I would have been away for 15months. Most deployments now are a total of 12 months total deployment time, which is an improvement over the 15 months. Leadership has to take in consideration the impact of long deployments on the troops as well as the families and employers. Most NATO nations maintain a 6 or 7 month deployment. The US Marines only deploy for 7 months, the Air Force for 6 months.... In my opinion, we need to re-look these lengthy deployments. As a leader I am not complaining but as a husband and father acknowledging the impact on my loved ones.




I was able to meet the Canadian Chief of Defense, GEN Rick Hillier, he is the Canadian equivalent to our Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. GEN Hillier is an awesome leader, one that I have the utmost respect for. As a leader he calls it like it is, he advocated for more NATO support long before the US and other nations got on the band wagon. He is a true leader, one that is greatly respected in the Canadian military.

The ARSIC had the opportunity to have a cook-out to down-shift a bit to relax and somewhat enjoy the Easter holiday. Operations never stop, but we took the time to bond and interact as an organization on a social level. This cook-out allowed us to take a much needed break.



What a great event, plus we did not have to eat in Supreme DFAC.... WOW.... Anytime soldiers can relax their minds a bit, helps.... and that is exactly what we did..... The rigors of war is not easy, there is a constant threat of attack by the insurgents, either by rockets, IED or other deceptive means. As mentioned earlier, we have lost some US and Coalition soldiers this week, which makes this week one filled with reflection and a keen sense of patriotism... These soldiers paid the ultimate price, right before Easter......



The above photo is MAJ Christopher Reisdorff's section... "Reisdorff's Raiders"





Me and some of my section personnel...... McNeil and Walsh..... Below is a picture of ARSIC Commander Thomas L. McGrath and myself.



Lastly, this Easter was a very special day for me. I was able to see one of my soldiers accept God and baptized in faith. SGT Lee Bruner, one of my commo personnel gave his life to God. What better Easter can one have.... God is still changing soldier's lives in such a wonderful way, even in this place. The picture was taken outside the chapel in an make-shift baptismal. Chaplain MAJ Roy Butler presided over the occasion.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried to get you some Verdae passes. That didn't work, how about Carolina Springs!

Happy Easter LTC Bowser!

Lori Peoria
Ft. Inn