Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Swamped and Trying to Catch-up

I have been back for two weeks now, and I have yet to catch up on all the things that went undone since my departure. There are a lot of reasons for this, one of which being most every one's plate is full and it is difficult enough to take care of their assigned tasks without the added ones brought about by the absence of someone else. That being said, I not only was faced with unprecedented Jet-lag, but there was a great deal of communications work that needed my attention. It literally took me one week to get over the jet-lag, getting back to some normal clock with my body.... The good thing was that I left competent people back to maintain the J-6 duties and responsibilities. I was so glad to know that my ANA counterparts truly missed me a great deal. They were extremely sensitive and concerned to the fact that I had a family issue that took me away. They are a very family oriented people, whom places family next to their relationship with God. Below is a picture of the Assistant 205th Corp G-6 LTC Asif, pictured with the new 205th CORP Commander BG Niebe, (centered with the green hat). His mentor is COL Cory Cannon. Also pictured is CPT Mike McKinney a member of the Canadian Army assigned to mentor the Corp G-6. The United States has nearly turned over all mentoring functions to the Canadian military. This tour has afforded me the opportunity to work with some great people for so many different countries all on a common goal to help the people of Afghanistan.







In the Aghan culture males holding hands is sign of friendship and is quite common to see. Just think how COL Cannon reacted when the General grabbed his hand to go for a walk!!! Wish I could have seen his expression.... The truth of the matter that you gain a sense of tolerance and acceptance to their culture, as this is their country. However, if I can get a picture of COL Cannon holding hands with the General, I will post it....it is just hard to get....







Kandahar is pretty good size base, that has a wooden Boardwalk with shops and restaurants like Pizza Hut and Subway, to include a Burger King.... There is a Tim Horton's Coffee Shop that the Canadians simply love. It is always busy.... Also pictured below is a fuzzy picture of an Hockey rink that the Canadians own. They really love hockey too....





As you see below, the British sponsored a concert for their soldiers on the boardwalk that was so professional. They do well at trying to break the monotony of war, by trying to find ways for soldiers to down-shift. It is so important for soldiers to have time away from stress. Thanks to the British....


No comments: