Sunday, August 12, 2007

Returning From Leave

As most of you know, leaving home to return to war is not easy. However in the back of your mind you know that it is simply a must. It was also good to come home to find things in order and without too many issues. But the return is what I am focusing this issue of my blog on. My return to Afghanistan initially took me to the Atlanta Airport, where I found many re-deploying soldiers awaiting transportation to either Iraq or Afghanistan. We all were to board the same flight. It was simply a joy that I can't express to walk through that airport and have people stand up and clap for us. What a tremendous show of support!!! I know that all of us felt like our sacrifice was really worth it, I know that I had that lump in my throat. The flight was a long and tiring process, by the time I landed in Afghanistan three days had passed and I was simply dogg tired. I landed in Bagram, Afghanistan awaiting a flight to Kandahar, which took another two days. It literally took me a week to get back to KAF. Bagram is an US base north of Kabul, which was substantially cooler in temperature than what I was use to in Kandahar. The temperature was in the mid 70s, amazing enough that they have an outdoor gym. We definitely can't have that in KAF, we would pass out.

The gym was nice, but I was too tired to go there.... WOW.... Bagram sits in the middle of the mountains and is a picturesque place. They also have a USO dedicated to the NFL Player "Pat Tillman" that was killed during combat operations.


Pat Tillman's NFL Jersey.....

I did not realize the impact of jet-lag on my body. I have been back for three days and I still wake up at odd hours and sleep intermittently. Arriving back, has been great but I can't believe the changes that can happen in three weeks. There is a constant rotation of troops in and out of theatre. Now, I am having to get used to new faces and positions. The good thing about this is knowing that you are closer to re-deployment. Most of the new arrivals are Air Force personnel that have six month deployments. What a novel idea!! WOW, I will see still be here when they go home..... We all gathered to see the last remaining members of the 41st BCT out of Oregon receive their deployment medals. Below is a picture of COL Cannon and SGM Elvington trying to look cool.... Being there to see them receive their award is a great show of support to these outstanding soldiers for leading the way and for doing an outstanding job.





The below picture is COL Thomas McGrath, ARSIC (S) Commander and CSM Bobby Albert, awarding out-going 41st BCT soldiers their deployment awards. I can only imagine how wonderful they are feeling, and how ready they are to go home to their families...






Pictured below is MAJ Paul Waldron the out-going JAG, and a wonderful friend. I wish all of these soldiers the best as they head home.... Being deployed, I have met and worked with some great leaders and soldiers from both the active and reserve forces. MAJ Waldron is a very spiritual person and has seven children, WOW "Old School". He always talked with me about his family, which helped me to remain focused on what is really important. That is the love of God, family and friends. I will miss these soldiers but they made an indelible mark on those of us that they left behind, to include our Afghan counterparts...


In closing this posting, I arrived back to find several care packages and I want to especially thank Pat and Rita Smith, my great neighbors lead by the DiMarcos, Co B, 111th Signal Battalion Lori Caldwell and my wonderful family. Know that I am doing fine, and will be home soon. Thanks to everyone who reads this blog for your support, your love and for what you do for others, especially soldiers. I say Thank-You for them all....

No comments: