Saturday, July 28, 2007

General Pace Visit

Since my last post, much has happened, for me one of the best things that happened was a visit to KAF, (Kandahar Airfield), by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen Peter Pace. I was so excited to meet him and talk to him. Gen Pace is leaving his post as Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff soon, and chose to visit soldiers and sailors down-range to say "Thanks for your service to this nation" I was truly impressed with his sincerity and care and concern for soldiers. He also gave many of us his COIN. This i will cherish!!!!! For those that don't know General Pace,

General Peter Pace was sworn in as sixteenth Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Sep. 30, 2005. In this capacity, he serves as the principal military advisor to the President, the Secretary of Defense, the National Security Council, and the Homeland Security Council. Prior to becoming Chairman, he served as Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. General Pace holds the distinction of being the first Marine to have served in either of these positions.


"Notice the Big Smile!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Traveling with General Pace was a Medal of Honor Recipient Harvey C. Barnum Jr, who distinguished himself during the Vietnam War for his courageous acts. 18 December 1965, U.S. Marine Corps, Company H, 2d Battalion, 9th Marines, 3d Marine Division (Rein). Place and date: Ky Phu in Quang Tin Province, Republic of Vietnam 18 Dec 1965.

LT Barnum received this honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. When the company was suddenly pinned down by a hail of extremely accurate enemy fire and was quickly separated from the remainder of the battalion by over 500 meters of open and fire-swept ground, and casualties mounted rapidly. Lt. Barnum quickly made a hazardous reconnaissance of the area, seeking targets for his artillery. Finding the rifle company commander mortally wounded and the radio operator killed, he, with complete disregard for his safety, gave aid to the dying commander, then removed the radio from the dead operator and strapped it to himself. He immediately assumed command of the rifle company, and moving at once into the midst of the heavy fire, rallying and giving encouragement to all units, reorganized them to replace the loss of key personnel and led their attack on enemy positions from which deadly fire continued to come. His sound and swift decisions and his obvious calm served to stabilize the badly decimated units and his gallant example as he stood exposed repeatedly to point out targets served as an inspiration to all. Provided with 2 armed helicopters, he moved fearlessly through enemy fire to control the air attack against the firmly entrenched enemy while skillfully directing 1 platoon in a successful counterattack on the key enemy positions. Having thus cleared a small area, he requested and directed the landing of 2 transport helicopters for the evacuation of the dead and wounded. He then assisted in the mopping up and final seizure of the battalion's objective. His gallant initiative and heroic conduct reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. Pictured below is Retired Capt Harvey C Barnum Jr.

This deployment has afforded me the opportunity to meet and converse with some of the most distinguished and influential people around. People like Lt Barnum risked it all, and he was honored with the highest military award given. The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Not long after being on the greatest high, (meeting Gen Pace and LT Barnum), I was notified of the death of my sister's husband. This kinda took the wind out of me. With this not meeting the definition for "Emergency Leave" status, I had to take my R&R leave to attend the funeral, which I gladly did. I knew that my mom wanted me there, so I was thankful that COL McGrath afforded me the chance to support my family. It is great to have leadership that is sympathetic to families as well as the individual soldier. Thanks COLONEL..... Below is a picture of my sister Terri, whom I love so dearly.... (Please keep her in your prayers)



Pictured below is my daughter Bre standing. She, along with my other children did not want me out of their sight. They are really making it hard to leave, but you know, duty calls....


I guess you can tell from the photo, we are Southerners, we will make a coffee table out of an old TV!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny huh..... While home I took the time to go by and visit family and friends, and a picnic or two.... My church, (Poplar Springs Baptist Church), had a picnic with fish, hotdogs and hamburgers. You know it is hard to pass up a good cook-out, but my wife made sure that I went to the gym later.......



Finally, while I have one more week home, I think of my friends and comrades back in the war zone. I have met and made friends with some great individuals. Pictured below is a few of these friends. In the green uniform are members of the Afghan National Army, as well as US personnel from the Air Force. The Air Force and the Navy has really stepped it up by supporting troops to the war fight. They are sending us some of their best personnel. We, (all the services) are doing our part to supporting this Global War...


I want to say a huge thanks for all your continued prayers and support. We all appreciate it... God Bless.....

No comments: