Sunday, April 13, 2008

Transition


This week I have been training my replacement, Navy LCDR Joel Whittington on communications in ARSIC-South. My sole focus has been to ensure that he understands all the history and how things are done in this theatre as it relates to the communications architecture. Not only am I transitioning, but the majority of Task Force Phoenix is in transition as well... The above photo is MAJ William Parks the J-6 for Task Force Phoenix and the incoming J-6 LTC Dana Whaley. It is a wonderful feeling to see the smiles the sense of accomplishment and the happiness in knowing that a job well done.... What is always present is the enemy. He has a vote, troops cannot get complacent as we wind down, this past week we had three soldiers on their last convoy to be struck by a suicide bomber, luckily, none were injured....



Pictured above is many of the signaleers that support this theatre, all of which were under my direction and guidance. I could not have been as successful without the hard work of these soldiers.




This country has a long way to go and the future will surely lie in the hands of many of these kids above. This can be a beautiful nation. We, (The US) and our allies cannot affect a change in culture, it takes time. One thing that I have learned is that patience is truly a virtue. Seeing these children smile warms my heart, I see the hope in their eyes and also the despair in how they live. What I have learned from this deployment is that nothing happens quick in this theatre, and true change takes generations. We are providing them with an opportunity for change, they have to grab hold and not release. Many of you have assisted us in spreading some of that joy to these children by your donations of clothing, gifts, toys, etc. On behalf of Afghanistan, I say a huge thank you. We have also built wells, roads, schools and many other things that positively impact their society. When you have 70% illiteracy, change is really challenging..



These kids live hard, they work to provide essentials for the family.. They tend sheep, goats, or whatever animals they own. The older women are kept at a distance from US and Coalition soldiers, just a part of their custom.



You can look at this picture and see the hard life that these ladies have had. I have only experienced a small portion of their life. Their customs and religion really makes it hard for women, and change is not easy. I ask my fellow Americans to continue to pray for our great soldiers, as well as for these people.
Photos provided by myself and LCDR Steven Parks.

No comments: