Sunday, June 10, 2007

Combat Patch Presentation




On 6 June 1944, the US began its invasion off the beaches of Normandy. US and allied forces commenced its combat operations now known as World War II. On 6 June 2007, some 63 years later, the 218th Brigade Combat Team received our combat patch. For so many of us, this was a very fulfilling day, one that we all were so proud to be a part of.. The combat patch symbolizes a soldiers participation in combat operations. There is a level of respect that comes with wearing that "Right Shoulder Patch". I have always admired those that had their "Right Shoulder Patch" I respected their service, I appreciated their willingness to support and defend this country. It is a very noble act. War/combat operations is not pretty or easy, it is what we train so hard to be proficient at, so that when our country calls we will be able to answer that call with confidence. Below is a picture of COL Cannon and CSM Albert presenting the 205th RSAC their "Combat/Right Shoulder Patch"



After pinning the soldiers, they take turns pinning each other. I know that award of the 218th BCT Combat Patch is particularly special to COL Cannon, his roots run deep in this distinct unit. Having this patch awarded is very special to all of us. With the happiness of this award all around, there are also so many signs that reminds us that we are in a combat zone, and that it is deadly. The US flag is flown more half-mask than it is flown to the top of the flag pole. This means that a U.S. or Coalition soldier has paid the ultimate price. Knowing that danger and death surrounds us, I have found solace in knowing the goodness that folks and supporters back home provide. While I have been here, I have received several care packages, one of which had some letters from an elementary school class and a football. Below, I am presenting the football to one of the kids in a local village.

I find it very difficult to recognize the needs of these people and not do something to show them that we care. Part of our focus here in Afghanistan is to attempt to win over the hearts and minds of the people. In my mind it begins with showing them we truly care, I believe it is the little things we do. As the kids tell me "Thank You Mister" they are really saying to the American people that donated these items "Thank You" Their parents sit afar watching over them recognize that we are not here to take, but to give and to help them help themselves.



While I was in this village with my interpreter, a military convoy showed up bearing gifts as well. As they opened the back door of the HUMVEE, the children swarmed the vehicle knowing that they had something for them.. Next time I come, I will try to bring a box of ice cream bars, as it was about 120degrees that day...




There are a lot of kids in this village, most Afghan households average 10 or more children. Now this is not a validated statistic, this info comes from my interpreter... who should know.. Notice the little girl in the blue dress... A beautiful little girl in a beautiful dress, but without shoes. That is the custom that I have seen here, or with flip flops...




It doesn't take much for you to recognize how blessed we are to live in America, just being here and seeing how these people survive day by day. I know that God has blessed America so richly. I look upon their homes, many made of mud. This village has a mixture of mud houses called 'Kalats" and apartment homes. The apartment homes were old Russian barracks that were destroyed years ago, that these Afghans utilize the part of the facility that is not damaged. it is a roof over their heads..




Just to be clear to those that are viewing these pictures, I do not know who destroyed these buildings, my interpreter is not sure either. So when I find out, I will let you know....





I will leave you all with this picture and a quote. "Freedom is not Free, it is Paid with a Price" I see this so vividly here, as many soldiers, as well as Afghans are paying a heavy price for the freedom that many Americans choose to ignore, or to say "Thank You" to those that provide it.


No comments: