Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Transition Back Home




I have been home for three months now, and I am slowly making the transition from warrior to life at home and at the office... My community Willow Creek, friends and this nation have truly stood behind the troops, and for that I say a huge "Thank You" on behalf of all warriors. Very few truly understand all that we went through there, but it is truly nice to be appreciated. The National Guard implemented a program called Yellow Ribbon, designed to ease the transition for soldiers back into civilian life..... The program is great, but nothing is perfect. As for me, I continue to worry about those that I left behind and for their safety..... The war in Afghanistan is gaining in recognition, where our political leaders now want to increase troop levels there.... WOW!!! Thanks...... So let's get on with it.... Bureaucracy should not dictate how we fight, if we are fighting for a just cause.... We should be given the resources and forces necessary to fight and win in battle, not crumbs to just get by.... We have lost 500 lives in Afghanistan and many more wounded, and scores more mentally scarred. We truly don't know the toll this war is going to have on our great nation, but we should dedicate the right resources, so that we can say that we TRULY have given it our best....

In my new position, I am the State Family Programs Director for the State of South Carolina. This is a position that I feel truly fits me... I enjoy getting up and going to the office, where I have the opportunity to impact so many lives and families in a positive way. I have begun reaching out to those warriors in transition units that are not yet home, because of injuries sustained in war. They are hurting, in many cases, their units are home and back with families, but they did not celebrate the heroes return or welcome home. They feel abandoned in many cases, by a system designed to help them return as healthy as possible back to their pre-deployment stage. This past weekend Mrs. Mona Johnson put on an Injured Soldier's Retreat at Clarks Hill, designed to reach out to our injured as well as their families. She had many support organizations there to help, to name a few (American Red Cross, TAPs, VA, SC National Guard Family Programs, Congress Gresham Barrett, and others there). This wonderful event was outstanding and a huge thanks to every person and organization that supported this event. Thanks Mona for your heart for our Soldiers and Families. Below is a picture of some of my family on St Croix, Virgin Island... yours truly took the photo... but it was truly great to be able enjoy the splendor of a Caribbean Cruise. We have so much to be thankful for!!!!



I will never forget my deployment to Afghanistan. I am so Thankful that God saw fit to keep His hands on me and my troops throughout the year in Afghanistan. In many cases there, most Afghans are so detached from reality and politics, that their focus is on simply surviving day by day. My heart continues to go out to the children of Afghanistan, whom suffers so greatly there. You are not forgotten!!!



As we enter this highly contested political season, it is my prayer that our leaders reach deep within their hearts and find the courage to do what is right by our Soldiers, that we put political meandering and partisan politics aside and agree as a nation that we need each other, as we all are Americans who love this great country of ours.

No comments: