Saturday, September 15, 2007

CSTC-A

CSTC-A is Combined Security Transition Command - Afghanistan. Since my last post, I had the distinct opportunity to visit TF Phoenix's Higher Headquarters CSTC-A located in Kabul City. BG Thomas Sinclair taught me that it is very beneficial to frequent your higher headquarters from time to time and this trip proves him right. Not only was I able to meet the key personnel making decisions that affect the entire country of Afghanistan, but I now have a relationship with them which enables me to know and fully understand the direction and initiatives being pushed at the highest levels. I also had the distinct pleasure of visiting the Ministry of Interior to meet and talk to the Director of ICT, (Information, Communications and Technology) for Afghanistan, BG Hasim. He has a staff of about 157 people.



I found him to be quite intelligent, speaks a little English, so he required a translator to be present during our meeting. Afghans are naturally hospitable, it is a part of their culture to treat you well and with respect. During this meeting we were treated to a full-course Afghan meal, with all the trimmings. I just wish I knew what I was eating. (Some things are better left unsaid or unknown). Below is a picture of some of the food, they bring the food out in stages, much as they do in Italy. It truly was delectable.


BG Hasim has not taken a vacation in years, due to the country's focus on re-building. Undoubtedly, there is so much to be done, as there is so much that has been done. Afghanistan has come a long way, but it has a long way to go. There are many challenges the country face, such as improving the social services needed in outlying areas, to bringing them such things as electricity, phones and schools. BG Hasim's job is to improve the information and communications infrastructure of the country. However, everything is built around funding, in a country riddled with corruption, things are quite costly and slow. But I must say that he is getting it done quite quickly with the assistance of the US and our Coalition partners. The below picture is of members of CSTC-A Communications section that deals with improving comms for the Afghan National Police.



As you can see they are a team of Marines, Navy, Air Force and Army personnel. Life in Afghanistan is hard. Re-building in not an easy task, but necessary. As you know, I have a heart for kids and for people. In most cases these kids never get to enjoy playing in a playground or going to an amusement park. In most cases their total life surrounds their home, village and family. There is an aura of hopelessness that encamps so many kids and adults of this country.


This week begins Ramadan, a time of fasting and reflection for most Afghans. I has truly been educational being here, learning about these people, their culture and their country. I just wish it wasn't so hot.....

No comments: