Sunday, April 22, 2007

Crew-served Weapons WOW!!!!!

This past week has definitely been a challenging one, both physically and mentally. This was our day and night crew-serve weapons qualification week. Crew-serve weapons means, automatic weapon systems, i.e. (M240b, MK-19, M-2- .50cal, M249 SAW). We not only had day and night qualification on US weapons, but we also had training on Foreign Weapons, i.e. Russian AK-47, PK, RPG, etc. Fort Riley really ensures that you are not only familiar with the weapons, but comfortable with the operation of the weapon. The below pic is SFC Hudson and SSG Hunter during pre-marksmanship instruction on the MK-19 Grenade Launcher.. This is really a sweet shooting weapon system, very accurate and easy to shoot. SFC Hudson is known as the gentle giant. He is really a quite man, one with few words, but one with much experience and knowledge. He really helped to teach and train us on numerous weapons..... He is in his element....











The above picture is more of our pre-markmanship instruction. MAJ Haselden and MSG Smithey dis-assembling the MK-19 with LTC Moore standing behind them looking cool.....



Fort Riley goes through great lengths to indoctrinate us into the environment we will face in country. This is called theatre immersion training. Below is a picture of locals dressed up like the people we will see in country.... (They pay them $16.83/hr to bring realism to our training. WOW... Could I work part-time huh....)






Back to the range. Below is a picture of LTC Wright taking a nap, while waiting on the range. We were on the range from 0700 to between 0230-0300, with about 1-2hrs of sleep if that. So many of us were exhausted....






The below picture is SFC Walsh and SSG Hunter waiting to fire. Walsh is trying to get a nap and trying to find some comfort with the weight of the IBA. Hunter just has that look of I'm beat on his face....







Range photo of CPT Johnson, LTC Storey and CSM Albert waiting to fire during day qualification. LTC Storey and CPT Johnson were the 240b qualifiers.... You don't often find a LTC manning a crew-serve, but we have everyone placed on the team in positions they can best support the entire team....




The below picture is of MAJ Griffith from one of the Michigan ETTs, chillin and trying to find some laughter and time to reflect and get through this long arduous day. I have found some great friends during this training. The SC and Michigan teams train together and have bonded quite well. MAJ Griffith is one that I can call FRIEND..... He is spiritual and always there to say an uplifting word.







The below picture captures the foreign weapons that we trained on. We assembled and dis-assembled them, as well as fired the weapons to ensure we knew how they fired, how they sounded, and how to operate them.





The below pic is me with a Russian RPG. This weapon is one that the Taliban uses a lot to fire on our helicopters.





The best part of the week was the end of the week. I finally got the chance to go to Kansas City to see my son Ronardo. He was at Fort Leonardwood completing his MOS qualification and I did not get to see him before I left and this would be the last opportunity for me to see him before I depart for theatre. My son is the back-bone of my family when I am not there, everyone counts on him, even me.... Don't get me wrong, I love my two other daughters just as much... My son understands me and knows how I would want things done, without me saying a word. He shares my spirit..... Ronardo is in the Air Force Reserve, another military man.....


No comments: